Life is busy, and it’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day. Whether it’s a demanding job or a family to care for (or both), sometimes we all feel like hamsters on the treadmill.
If you’re like most then it’s rare, if ever, that you really take the time to think about where the path you're on is taking you. Very few people have a clear idea of what they want to achieve in the next 5 years, let alone this time next month and year.
At the end of the day, it's your future - and the actions (or lack of actions) you take today will determine the sort of future you will have.
Successful people set goals. It’s simple. They know what they want, and have a plan to achieve it.
Goals give us direction and a sense of purpose. They take you to your ‘happy place’ by visualising what life will be like when you do make it.
Writing down your goals is such a simple, yet effective, first step on your journey to a better future. And you can do it too, starting today.
Setting goals allows you to come up with a plan of action for achieving them. And reviewing them regularly will keep you motivated and on track.
It might seem overwhelming, or even impossible. Your goal might seem like a million miles from where you are today. The key is breaking it down into bite-sized chunks. Small tasks you can do today, this week, this month, which will take you a step closer to achieving your goal.
Remember, your plan to achieve that goal can change, and you should give yourself the freedom to be flexible when you need. In the face of surprises or setbacks, look for a work around to achieve what you set out.
We all want to enjoy a secure financial future, and provide one for our family. So, if retiring poor isn’t part of your plan, here are some very important questions, to help you on your journey to creating the future you deserve:
- What are your financial and lifestyle goals? What do you want for your future?
- What will your life be like if you don’t achieve your goals?
- What will you be able to do when you achieve financial freedom (retire earlier, travel, volunteer and give back to the community, help the kids, relax and enjoy life)?
- How much money will you need to live comfortably in retirement (many of us are living 20+ years in retirement, which is a long time to struggle financially)?
- Most Australians don’t have enough super when they retire. So do you think you can save enough from your income alone to achieve your goals?
- If your income alone won't be enough, what is your plan to create the financial security you need for your future?
- What are you doing today to achieve your goals?
Almost all of our clients tell us they wish they had started growing their property portfolio years ago. I doesn’t matter what you goals are - just imagine what a great position you could be in today, if you had started actively working towards them 5 or 10 years ago.
Most important however is the decisions you make now and into the future. You don't want to be still be saying “I wish I had...” 5 years from today.
So make your future a priority. Download the goal questions above by clicking the link below. Take the time to the answer the questions. Write them down. Own them. Identifying your own goals is not only incredibly motivating - it’s the important first step on the journey to achieving them.
Most importantly, remember that you have the power to set your own course. You have a choice (even doing nothing is a choice), and you can decide to take action today, to create a more secure future, for you and your loved ones.